Saturday, August 6, 2011

Morning Glory

The sun rose over Penobscot Bay this morning, peeking in and out of the early morning clouds. The sky was pink and grey, subtly changing colors as the minutes passed. By 6 o'clock, the sleek silhouettes of sailboats could be seen across Camden Harbor. All kinds of boats sat on top of the water, mainly sailboats, powerboats, yachts, dinghies, and skiffs. I walked down my road to Laite beach to watch the morning make its daily appearance. How lucky I am to live in a place where a 5 minute walk can put me on an empty beach, where the lapping waves of the Penobscot Bay arrive at my feet. Mount Battie and her neighbor, Megunticook lay shrouded in silky strands of fog. The sun continued to rise as a few boats began to start up and head out for the deep waters of the bay. scores of seagulls raced round Curtis Island, their screeching cries piercing the silence of the still morning. I walked back and forth down the beach, just letting the water wash up on my feet. The sky above me was now turning pink, and the clouds that enveloped the harbor at daybreak, were slowly parting, revealing a beautiful sky of blue. I slowly walked back home, a smile on my face. Life is good, for August has arrived on the coast of Maine.


































1 comment: