Thursday, July 28, 2011

Summer Siesta

This past week in mid-coast Maine has been sweltering! Temperatures have stayed in the 90's, while the days have been muggy and humid, two words that are rarely mentioned in coastal Maine weather forecasts. It is July though, and this is the time for the dreaded dog days of summer. Unless you are lucky enough to be perched on the ocean's edge, the air comes to a complete standstill around you, and the heat of the ground rises to envelop your body. The sea breeze is nowhere to be found, and the sun beats down on the coast, from sunrise to sunset, and all the hours in between. Thankfully, the heat broke this past Saturday night, and Sunday morning brought with it the customary cool breezes that come sweeping off Penobscot Bay. The temperature backed off into the mid 70's and the sun felt just right on my skin, a perfect day indeed. I meandered down the dusty back roads of Aldermere farm in Rockport, hoping to catch glimpse off the town's famous belted Galloway cows. The swaying grass was as green as it could be, and the winding fields and meadows of the venerable old farm stretched out in front of me like a giant sea of green. I found three young belties, and snapped my faithful Nikon. I left the farm after a while, and headed down to Beauchamp Point, a gorgeous stretch of land that borders Rockport Harbor. I hopped from rock to rock, until I found a sunny spot to sit down and dangle my feet in the cool water. Beautiful sailboats rocked back and forth in the morning breeze, while sleek powerboats raced off in the distance. Puffy white clouds moved across the bright blue sky, and that glorious breeze off Penobscot Bay swirled all around me. I leaned back against a warm rock, and closed my eyes. I nodded off for about 20 minutes or so, not a care in the world, just me and the ocean in front of me. Summer days are meant for discovery. They are meant for playing in the fields, and swimming in the ocean, but sometimes they are simply made for taking a nap in one of your favorite spots. I chose Rockport Harbor for my summer siesta, a small slice of heaven in Mid-Coast Maine.







































































































No comments:

Post a Comment